Friday, April 22, 2011

For a Song: Everybody’s Dancin’


Gove Scrivenor: Everybody‘s Dancin‘

[purchase]

This post was born out of a discussion I started in the forum on the No Depression website. I asked about musicians who were fondly remembered, but whom the writer had lost track of, and Tom McD mentioned Gove Scrivenor. I remember Scrivenor fondly myself. He released two albums on the Flying Fish label in the 1970’s, Shady Gove and Coconut Gove. His music was a combination of acoustic blues and the poppier sound heard here. But Everybody’s Dancin’ is the song that stayed in my head all these years. Maybe it’s because I was a teenager when I first heard it, well into my hormones with feet stage, and this sounded like a party I wanted to attend. All I can say is that I am now older, and presumably wiser, but this still sounds like a great time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Good stuff. Remember having a tape of a concert of his way back in the 70's. Wish I knew what happened to that tape.

Spike Flynn said...

Shady Gove is a great album with some fine picking from Doc Watson included. It's re-released on CD. It has some great songs on it and is well worth a visit. His other material is not at the same level I think (just my opinion and taste).