Friday, March 6, 2009

Stretching Out



I have begun to settle into a vibe here of presenting the milder varieties of what could be called, for lack of a better term, singer-songwriter music. I do love this music, and I will surely do more of it. But, before this becomes set in stone, I want everybody to know that I also like other music. So, over the next week or so, I’m going to be stretching things out a bit, musically. Here’s a taste of what I mean.

Herbie Hancock w/ Joni Mitchell: Tea Leaf Prophecy

[purchase]

Jazz is difficult for me to find the right words for, when writing about it. But I know when I hear something I like. I’ve liked the work of Herbie Hancock since I first heard his album Headhunters, through discovering his work with Miles Davis, and on into finding out about his acoustic jazz works as a leader. Here, Hancock reimagines Joni Mitchell’s song, Tea Leaf Prophecy. He even enlists Mitchell to provide the vocals for a cover of her own song.

David Byrne: Loco de Anor

[purchase]

World Music is something I will be writing more about soon. Although David Byrne originally recorded Loco de Amor for the soundtrack of the film Something Wild, the song was later added to Byrne’s album Rei Momo. The album explores the rich variety of song styles in the Latin world, and this song fits right in.

The Neville Brothers: Family Groove

[purchase]

I also love the groove of the best that funk has to offer. But don’t ever confuse funk with disco. The Neville Brothers are New Orleans’ first family of funk, dating back to when various members were involved in the Meters.

Even this is only a taste of the kinds of music I enjoy. Stay tuned to this space for more soon.

2 comments:

Duncanmusic said...

I think if you do some research you'll find the Nevilles as individual solo artists have strong musical roots that go back to the late 1950s in N.O.,long before the Meters arose. I suppose calling them New Orleans' first family of funk is still true, though I'm not sure who is back living there as of now. You know, the whole scene all looks like family to me the longer I look at it.

Susan said...

Hey, Darius ~

Yeah... great minds think alike indeed!

http://sixsongs.blogspot.com/2009/03/bodies-of-water-river_06.html

And may I just say I love the picture you chose to illustrate your post... :-)